News:

Welcome to the Desert!  Register, post, and have fun.  Why not introduce yourself in the
Welcome Thread?

Main Menu

Superband Topic

Started by Howl, September 16, 2007, 02:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twilight Wolf

KNY is still my favorite Deftones album. Every time I listen to it I just... hehdnbakpqoemfnbdhsi it's SO GOOD

A while back I bought "Good News For People Who Love Bad News" by Modest Mouse. Pretty great album. Blame Rock Band for that one -- it had me play "Float On" like 50 times. :v

I also bought Fatboy Slim's "You've Come A Long Way, Baby." And dammit, it is a fun album to listen to. Recommended.

For Christmas I got Seether's "Karma And Effect." Love it love it love it. That's 3/3 albums of theirs I own that were awesome, so I think this means I need the rest of their stuff too now.
What, you expect me to say something witty?

MasterKeyX

Guys, I just recently discovered jazz, and I actually can't stop listening to Kind of Blue, Miles Davis.

It's excellent.

RIP my LeafGreen team: 2005-2010

Mysterious F.

Quote from: MasterKeyX on December 29, 2012, 01:06:09 PM
Guys, I just recently discovered jazz, and I actually can't stop listening to Kind of Blue, Miles Davis.

It's excellent.

One of the best albums ever!!!!!!!

Miles Davis is absolutely amazing. You should listen to some of his other stuff. Just know that, from about 1970 onwards, he gets really weird.

Keaton

Oh hey, I've never actually posted in this thread.

Shpongle - Amazing psybient music with great grooves, excellent for any occasion.
Edenbridge - The best power metal I have ever heard, ever.
Ronald Jenkees - Makes techno, but he's more of a one-man operation.  Check him out on Youtube.  Not sure what his deal is but he's got sweet beats.
The Meters - The godfathers of funk.  Some seriously funky dudes.  Tons o' funk.  Srsly.
The Police - you're never too old or too young for the Police.
Blackguard - For when you really need black metal
Amon Amarth - Viking metal, can't go wrong there.
Dream Theater - Prog.
Jordan Rudess - Keyboardist of Dream Theater, arguably the backbone of the band.  He was accepted into Juliard when he was a young teenager, and his solo projects will melt your mind.
Derek Sherinian - Previous keyboardist of Dream Theater.  He's got some really good, too.
Birdy Nam Nam - Not quite sure what to call them, but their stuff is really psychedelic and catchy.
Apocrypha - A band I was in for a while.  They're not popular by any means but they've got some really cool grooves and if they ever tour near you you should catch a show.

Just to name a few.

Darth Wyndisis

Quote from: Keaton on December 30, 2012, 08:59:48 AM
Edenbridge - The best power metal I have ever heard, ever.
I just checked out one of their songs.  They sound pretty good.

Quote from: Twilight Wolf on December 27, 2012, 01:03:52 PM
KNY is still my favorite Deftones album. Every time I listen to it I just... hehdnbakpqoemfnbdhsi it's SO GOOD
It is a very good album.  I put it right up there with White Pony and Diamond Eyes, my personal favorites.

On a related note, I just realized that iTunes ripped me off (sort of).  I pre-ordered KNY, and they gave me the censored version.  I didn't even notice until, like 10 minutes ago, because there aren't that many obscenities on the album.  I'm still kind of irked about it though because they didn't clearly mark it as a censored album, which I thought they did.  Seriously, you can't censor art, even if it only cuts out like, two words on the entire album.  That's like smearing dog crap all over the Mona Lisa; it's just wrong.

Twilight Wolf

Man, that ain't right D: That sucks.

On a related note, I picked up the Hot Topic-exclusive clear vinyl edition of KNY a few weeks ago.

Also, one of my favorite bands ever that nobody's heard of, STRFKR (I would be breaking the forum rules if I posted their full name), had their upcoming album "Miracle Mile" leaked last week. They ended up just releasing the digital version early on Monday for those who preordered it. I was one of those (I preordered the vinyl edition) so I was able to download it legitimately.

AND HOLY GOD IT'S GOOD. Best album of theirs yet. My favorite tracks are "Leave It All Behind," "Last Words," "Golden Light," and "Night Rite," but they're all winners, I think. Highly recommended; y'all should give 'em a listen because they're not quite like anyone else out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90P6t2VaVG8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii0GDDIYK7M

Also, look at this vinyl, it's beautiful! 2xLP set too.

MagmarFire

Holy cow, that vinyl is beautiful.

...I didn't even know they still made vinyl editions. That's pretty neato.

Advanceshipping and Rion had better be Chuck Norris approved.

Twilight Wolf

Vinyl's becoming more and more popular as time goes on, believe it or not. Lots of artists are putting out vinyl editions of the albums they release.

I got my copy of the aforementioned STRFKR album today, actually! More than a week before its street date :3 Here's a high-res picture of the discs:

MagmarFire

Wow. That trend really surprises me, considering the effect digital distribution has had on physical distribution in recent years.

Still, nothing quite like those feelies, especially if they look freaking pretty.

Advanceshipping and Rion had better be Chuck Norris approved.

Twilight Wolf

A significant number of vinyl records you buy nowadays actually include a code that'll give you an MP3 copy of the album. This one did, as has every record I've purchased from this label, on top of the instant download they give you upon checking out. It's kind of the happy medium between having a copy for home listening and a digital version for use on-the-go or on your computer. Plus you get a 12" x 12" (or larger, in the case of this album) piece of artwork you can look at. I still like buying CDs, however, since they're more convenient to play on the road and the audio quality is higher than any MP3 version, but buying vinyl that offers an MP3 copy is perfectly acceptable. I still plan to pick up Miracle Mile on CD at some point in the future, but I don't need to currently.

As for why vinyl is making a comeback... I really can't say. I honestly think it's largely a fad on the consumer end, since records are "cool" and "retro" so they're the "in" thing right now, but they do have unique audio properties that make them a whole different experience to listen to, which is what the artists like. CDs are pure data, so they never degrade over time, but a vinyl record is a literal physical representation of recorded sound waves, so the way the sound is interpreted gives vinyl a quality to it I can't really describe that CDs lack. The best I've been able to liken it to is vinyl being like a solid oak table in a library, whereas a CD is like a stainless steel counter in a laboratory. Both perform the same function, but they have different feels.

Either way, while I love my CDs, I love my records too, and I wouldn't get rid of one of the other for either. But there just ain't nothin' like unwrapping a brand new record. Even if it's not technically due out for another week or so, it's like traveling back in time and taking part in a tradition that's been around for half a century and almost died, but was revived.

Twilight Wolf

So for my birthday I got tickets to see STRFKR, because they're coming to Reno in June! I'm excited. And playing with them is a duo called Wampire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wd9W91FEyA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oMqEZSYnGw

I like 'em! I preordered their album (on vinyl, naturally) and it ended up being quite good. They have kind of a STRFKR-ish vibe to them, though with less emphasis on the electronic aspect. Kind of an 80s feel, too. Cool stuff.

I also bought the limited-edition 45 they put out, which has a Kraftwerk cover on the B-side, and since I'd been curious about Kraftwerk for some time anyway I decided to check them out too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfcOIExrp2E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sbvylpwah8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhBG1ilB3ao

I'm completely addicted now. They were way ahead of their time, and having listened to their entire catalog I truly think they're brilliant. Part of what's so magical about them is they make a kind of music that hasn't become truly prevalent until now, but back in the 1970s and 1980s, so listening to this computerized, synthesized material and knowing it's been around for so long, it's almost like a trip through time. Now I'm trying to acquire original issues of all their records. I've managed to get three so far: Electric Cafe, Trans-Europe Express, and Autobahn. Still waiting on the last two to arrive in the mail, but Electric Cafe sounds utterly amazing on vinyl. Hoping all goes well with eBay auctions for Computer World and Radio-Activity.

Zelda Veteran

Just found an awesome cover of +44's "When your heart stops beating" by Wir Sind Helden. I almost like it better ^^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZQtjd-ZokU

My real Poison team in BW2. They all have perfect natures and EV's. I went the extra distance and bred the right IV's into them. Come at me bro.

xarlote

xarlote

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо