News:

Welcome to the Desert!  Register, post, and have fun.  Why not introduce yourself in the
Welcome Thread?

Main Menu

The things I've noticed...

Started by Keaton, May 03, 2008, 10:46:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keaton

So, I am replaying MM again, and I've noticed several interesting things.

First of all, the clock town clocks have Keaton on them.

When you have a file on your cartridge that is completed, the title screen movie is different.

When you've beaten the Mask once, the scene on the clock tower roof is different.
This is probably obvious, but is still neat:  Giant number 3 (Great Bay) tells you to 'save their friend'.  At the time, you'd think they're referring to Stone Tower giant, but they're referring to the Skull Kid.

I've noticed some other things too, I just can't think of them right now.

EDIT:  When you defeat Gyorg, Tatl says to the giant, 'Hey, Listen!'.  Sound familiar?

Mysterious F.

Actually, the dialogue is different because you've already been explained about Skullkid getting lonely and blah... blah... blah.

Vaati

Quote from: Aperture Science Weighed Companion Cube on May 03, 2008, 10:46:43 AM

EDIT:  When you defeat Gyorg, Tatl says to the giant, 'Hey, Listen!'.  Sound familiar?
.......No! Oh God not again!!!!

But yeah. I never noticed. That's pretty interesting.

TP Zelda

...Does that mean I'm going to have to go through the whole game again? Because nothing changed for me.  :'(

Hi no Seijin

Not quite sure if this is the appropriate thread, but it's purpose seemed closest to what I intend as well as the earliest, so....

While browsing TV Tropes at random, I came across Numerological Motif.  When it got down to four, it pointed out the four cardinal compass directions (north, south, east, west) and the four elements of European tradition (fire, water, earth, air).  And that's when it hit me.

One of the underlying themes of Majora's Mask is direction.  There are four temples, each to the north, south, east, and west.  Each temple can be assigned an element and from there an element can be assiged to a direction.  To the north is Snowhead Temple, which is probably primarily a Goron temple, and Gorons are often associated with fire.  Great Bay Temple in the west is obviously tied to water.  Of the two elements left, Woodfall Temple in the south is most likely to be associated with earth; Dekus seemingly being able to burrow underneath the ground helps strengthen this conception.  That leaves air to Stone Tower Temple in the east; the tower and temple extends high into the air, it was likely meant to be a bridge up to the heavens, and inverting the tower introduces the risk of falling up into the sky.

So, at least in Termina:
North = Fire
South = Earth
East = Air
West = Water

Yes, Mags, you can start expecting me to use that in my fanfics.
Best.  Cane.  EVER!
Secretary of Lolcats; I won the MagmarFire Award for 2/21/08!
Filler.Filler.Filler.Fillah!  Filler.Filler.Filler.Fillah!

Fishalicious

There is an alternative cutscene when you call the giants; if you do not have all of the giants saved, they slip and the moon continues to destroy everything.

MagmarFire

Quote from: Winry Rockbell on December 22, 2009, 07:29:29 AM
Not quite sure if this is the appropriate thread, but it's purpose seemed closest to what I intend as well as the earliest, so....

While browsing TV Tropes at random, I came across Numerological Motif.  When it got down to four, it pointed out the four cardinal compass directions (north, south, east, west) and the four elements of European tradition (fire, water, earth, air).  And that's when it hit me.

One of the underlying themes of Majora's Mask is direction.  There are four temples, each to the north, south, east, and west.  Each temple can be assigned an element and from there an element can be assiged to a direction.  To the north is Snowhead Temple, which is probably primarily a Goron temple, and Gorons are often associated with fire.  Great Bay Temple in the west is obviously tied to water.  Of the two elements left, Woodfall Temple in the south is most likely to be associated with earth; Dekus seemingly being able to burrow underneath the ground helps strengthen this conception.  That leaves air to Stone Tower Temple in the east; the tower and temple extends high into the air, it was likely meant to be a bridge up to the heavens, and inverting the tower introduces the risk of falling up into the sky.

So, at least in Termina:
North = Fire
South = Earth
East = Air
West = Water

Yes, Mags, you can start expecting me to use that in my fanfics.

There's perhaps one thing you can add to that: Four is Death. Four curses, four transformation masks, four days (including the New Day). And four just about everywhere else you mentioned.

Advanceshipping and Rion had better be Chuck Norris approved.

Keaton

Another interesting thing that is right in front of your face the entire time:

If you visit the farm on the third day without helping on the first, look carefully at Romani.

(She has lobotomy stitches)

The Glamour Nazi

Really?

I gotta try that one, It'll give me a reason to turn on my wii.

Hi no Seijin

Quote from: Zaraki Kenpachi on January 22, 2010, 01:03:09 AM

If you visit the farm on the third day without helping on the first, look carefully at Romani.

My brother got a new TV; I'll have to try that one out myself supposing he was able to connect the N64 to it.
Best.  Cane.  EVER!

MagmarFire

Quote from: Zaraki Kenpachi on January 22, 2010, 01:03:09 AM

(She has lobotomy stitches)

...Oh, wow... Poor girl. :(

Advanceshipping and Rion had better be Chuck Norris approved.

The Glamour Nazi

I just checked the lobotomy stitches, and I'm not sure if it's different on the original N64, but I couldn't see them on the Virtual Console version.

Keaton

They're definitely on the N64 version, I'm looking at them right now.

Hi no Seijin

Would it be possible for you to post pictures of it?  Looks like I won't be able to.
Best.  Cane.  EVER!

The Glamour Nazi

I was hoping for pictures too.

It sounds really funny/cool.