News:

Welcome to the Desert!  Register, post, and have fun.  Why not introduce yourself in the
Welcome Thread?

Main Menu

Oh god what does this even mean

Started by Keaton, March 24, 2009, 04:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi no Seijin

Quote from: Davy Jones on March 25, 2009, 11:18:03 PM
Considering how long the days (and hours) are, the planet must be moving ridiculously quickly-- quickly enough to keep the moon in some kind of orbit.
Are you talking about how quick the in-game clock is?  Because that has to be too fast to be realistic.

Quote from: TP Zelda on March 26, 2009, 02:48:56 PM
But guys, remember, MM is like, and inverse of Hyrule, in a way. (I think so, anyway.
Because it's got powers.
Like magical masks, swords, etc.
>.>?
Hyrule has magical masks (don't tell me the Mask of Truth isn't magical), swords, etc. as well.
Best.  Cane.  EVER!
Secretary of Lolcats; I won the MagmarFire Award for 2/21/08!
Filler.Filler.Filler.Fillah!  Filler.Filler.Filler.Fillah!

Keaton

Quote from: Hi no Seijin on March 27, 2009, 05:02:18 PM
Quote from: Davy Jones on March 25, 2009, 11:18:03 PM
Considering how long the days (and hours) are, the planet must be moving ridiculously quickly-- quickly enough to keep the moon in some kind of orbit.
Are you talking about how quick the in-game clock is?  Because that has to be too fast to be realistic.

Although I see where you're coming from, if we're going to get into the logistics behind the Zelda games, look at the Hyrule days-- they're even faster.  Keep in mind how long it takes for a normal person to walk from a place to another place.  Although the time is probably exaggerated for the sake of a challenge, the days still strike me as much shorter than those we're familiar with.

Keaton

Sorry to double-post and necropost, but I think I realized what's up with the moon.

It was always falling.

Before the Giants were sealed away by the Skull Kid, part of their duty as guardian deities was to hold the moon in place.  They didn't need to do it physically, because it wasn't being magically pulled down.  They're magical, it wasn't (other than the fact that it presumably still had a face).  They could hold it up from where they were (100 paces away from the clock tower in all directions).

"All of these festivities for the Carnival of Time are held so that we may ask the gods for a rich harvest in the year to come!" —Anju's grandmother

The moon and crops have always been closely related together.  In many cultures, they solely follow the lunar cycle in order to know when to sow and when to reap.  Almost every superstition, such as the idea that the Giants can provide a bountiful harvest, comes with a grain of truth.  Perhaps in this case, it's that the Giants controlled the moon, and as such controlled the sea and a lot of meteorological phenomena.  By having power over the moon, they had power over the crops.

MagmarFire

Where did the game say that they were supposed to hold the moon in place? Or was this just based on what Anju's grandmother said? Either way, this is a pretty sweet thing you noticed, man.

Advanceshipping and Rion had better be Chuck Norris approved.

Keaton

I'm just purely interpolating from the data, and the fact that that was what their job was when Link called them with the Oath to Order, except that time they actually had to do it physically.

DW

The moon doesn't really orbit around the planet, does it...?
­

Keaton

No, not really.  Then again, the moon's orbit doesn't affect much except the degree of its gravitational pull at any given moment.  By moving it ever so slightly in height and stuff like that you could drastically change its effects.

DW

I was just thinking about the whole "moving very fast" comment from earlier and it made me wonder why the moon isn't orbiting...I guess Skull Kid could have stopped its lateral movement and made it come straight down, but...idk. Seems like it would screw with tides.
­

Keaton

It might not actually be a "moon" per se, or even a satellite at all.  It's quite possible it was a meteor that the Giants stopped, but were unable to completely repel.  So instead of trying to destroy it or push it back into space, they just made it hang there.

MagmarFire

Quote from: Kixash on January 23, 2010, 02:52:27 PM
Seems like it would screw with tides.

That possibly makes a slight explanation as to why the ocean's temperature was thrown out of whack. Not that I'm an expert on ocean currents, but...eh.

The Glamour Nazi

I always thought that that "moon" wasn't a real moon at all, and that it was created just to crash into Termina by Skull kid/ Majora.

After all **SPOILER**It does have that large plain on the inside with the creepy maks salesman kids, who might actually be the tribe that created Majora's Mask meaning the Mask Salesman is the last of the tribe, but that's a different subject.

Going by the fact that they're there might mean it's something that the old rituals the Majora's Mask was made for. Maybe the mask was always made to create something to crash into the earth, or pull the moon from orbit.

MagmarFire

^ According to the HMS, no one but the ancient tribe knew the exact capabilities of the mask's power. If he were a member of the tribe, he probably would've known himself.

The second thing you said makes sense, though. It was used for hexing rituals, after all, and pulling the moon from orbit was probably just another hex to it.

The Glamour Nazi

^ You really think the mask man didn't know what it was capable of? He was so shifty, always seemed to be there right when Link needed him, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't telling you everything.

TP Zelda

Since the topic of teh HMS came up, me and my bro were talking last night about MM and stuff, and then I thought "What about the HMS? Like, he would remember what happened the first, second, and third day even after you rewound time. Cuz remember he asked about the mask?" but then I remembered that teh time isn't the same in the little place under the clock tower so then I was sad. XD

But I also thought, he might be a time traveller or somethingg. 'Cause, he says he's been following Link, and I think he says "You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?" or somethingg, so he wouldn't have followed Link into Termina if he didn't have a reason tooo or something...
And then I think, if I remember correctly, at the end of the game he walks off and just disappears. o...O

The Glamour Nazi

I seriously think the HMS seriously knew everything that was happening and may have even planned it.