News:

Welcome to the Desert!  Register, post, and have fun.  Why not introduce yourself in the
Welcome Thread?

Main Menu

Minecraft?

Started by kamakaziplumber, July 17, 2011, 08:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keaton

Sounds like a good plan!  I look forward to seeing your updated castle... not sure when I'll be free to play, however.

kamakaziplumber

Heh, well I just added the portcullis to my castle... and a four-block-high wall on the inside of my moat. There's a little mini-gate near where the minecart stops now, and a drawbridge made with pistons and gravel that comes up from under the water. Also some... castle secrets.  ::)
The Fourth! A webcomic about the hopeless case of the game villain.

"Tis music that soothes the savage beast, but the dagger that causes long slumbers."
- Me!

Hi no Seijin

Quote from: kamakaziplumber on August 02, 2011, 11:14:56 PM
Did you guys ever officially kill the rule against double posts? Oh well.
It's still in effect, but double posts are allowed if you're posting a relevent update.  At least I think that's the general, unwritten consensus.  Perhaps we should make that official?

As for Minecraft so I'm still on topic....I'm still not quite sure what it is.  Is it something like LittleBigPlanet, but more blockier?
Best.  Cane.  EVER!
Secretary of Lolcats; I won the MagmarFire Award for 2/21/08!
Filler.Filler.Filler.Fillah!  Filler.Filler.Filler.Fillah!

kamakaziplumber

Well HNS, it's a little bit like LBP, but you don't make games or anything like that. It's more like playing with virtual LEGO, really. You deal only with cubes and, occasionally, some more complicated cubes. You also have tools that you must use to harvest cubes so you can place them somewhere else.

This is silly but, yeah, that's basically what it is. Playing with virtual LEGO, where you have "unlimited" LEGO bricks, but you have to harvest them first.

Also, I'm putting the server back up. I just have to reset the spawn point first.

"Tis music that soothes the savage beast, but the dagger that causes long slumbers."
- Me!

kamakaziplumber

Excellent news: I now have a desktop dedicated to running our Minecraft server! And it only cost me $5.  :-\

Also: We have a few new players, some friends of mine. Only two more but, hey.

Also also: I'm looking into a plugin that will allow server-side authentication. What this means is that you guys can play on our server for free! I have to look into the way the plugin works, and it may not be possible after all, but it SHOULD be, so... maybe you can try before you buy, at least.

Heh scratch that, too sketch. I couldn't find a cracked exe I'd trust, so I won't let you guys use it either. Sorry, you'll just have to buy this awesome game that is totally worth it.

- Me!

kamakaziplumber

Hey all...

SO, I tried to get a public IP from my university, but they wouldn't give me one for a game server, so... the Minecraft server is down for now. The good news is I'm in the process of setting up my old desktop at home to be the new server. This is harder than you'd think, because I actually have to call my dad and ask him to do a lot for me that I can't do remotely (like opening ports) and otherwise fight with an installation of Linux that had some... complications.

However, the server is tentatively up and running... I just have to transfer the files from our previous server over. I can always run an inter-university server with the desktop I bought for $5 anyways.  ;)

- Me!

kamakaziplumber

I hate to quadruple-post, but the server is up-and-running again, so, have at it guys.

- Me!

The Glamour Nazi

Hey guys, I haven't been playing much, been sorta creeped out.

I was playing offline trying to bash down a tree a while ago to get some wood for the darn pickaxe and right at the end of my line of vision, in the fog, was something else. It didn't look like a skeleton or a Creeper, but it was there.

Any idea what it was? I mean, I've gone around long enough in the game to know that the only other things in an offline game that look like people are creepers and skeletons...

It's got me sorta freaked out since it just stands there and watches, then moves away when I try and get closer.

Honestly, I'm afraid to play.  :P

Keaton

The Glamour Nazi

Quote from: Tacheon Black on August 23, 2011, 11:02:41 AM

Lol, this guy obviously knew how to play.., but yeah, that's about how it happened. I got creeped out of the dude just watching and quit.

I'm being entirely serious, I hope you know that.

Keaton

The "Enderman".  Your worst fears have been realized, Inigo.

kamakaziplumber

So I've merged the TDC server with the server I was running for the marching band here at Rice. Hopefully this will mean more people on the server, which is good because I'm also running it on a better machine now. Everything that existed on the server before is still there, I just added a few people from the band to the whitelist.

TIME TO MAKE NEW FRIENDS.

- Me!

Keaton