News:

Welcome to the Desert!  Register, post, and have fun.  Why not introduce yourself in the
Welcome Thread?

Main Menu

Nintendo Ambassadors?

Started by alex, July 30, 2011, 01:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex

okay, so I'm sure you have heard of "3DS Ambassadors" by now. its the bonus that gamers who purchased the 3DS before the price cut get. From what i've read it includes twenty free games, including The Legend of Zelda.
If you have, or plan on purchasing, a 3DS, i think the offer is only available until mid august.
what do you guys think? is this a fair gift for the gamers who purchased 3DS before the price cut?

Gamefreak

I like it.  This is the first time I've seen any company acknowledge those who bought their systems when the price was high.

I would have looooved some sort of compensation when I bought my PS3 for 599 US dollars.

MagmarFire

Considering we're getting Metroid Fusion and, of course, The Legend of Zelda, among eighteen other games, I'd say it's a really good deal. Assuming every game's worth $5.00, for twenty games, that's a $100 value. Subtract $80 from that, and that means that Nintendo's basically giving the early birds $20.

I am in awe of their awesomeness.

Advanceshipping and Rion had better be Chuck Norris approved.

Pale Dim

Nintendo has blown me away!  ;D

3308-7723-6389

Deku

Quote from: MagmarFire on July 31, 2011, 03:46:41 PM
Considering we're getting Metroid Fusion and, of course, The Legend of Zelda, among eighteen other games, I'd say it's a really good deal. Assuming every game's worth $5.00, for twenty games, that's a $100 value. Subtract $80 from that, and that means that Nintendo's basically giving the early birds $20.

Is it something you have to go and pick up, or is it going to be Wi-Fi'd to us? This is really awesome, and I'm totally excited to get Metroid Fusion. :D

Twilight Wolf

I'm most definitely picking up a 3DS now. WHEN, however, I don't know. I'm tempted to buy one now to get the free games... but I'm not sure if I have the funds. I almost certainly have enough for the reduced-price 3DS, however. Wat do? D:
What, you expect me to say something witty?

alex

Quote from: Zelda Veteran on August 01, 2011, 12:27:43 AM
Quote from: MagmarFire on July 31, 2011, 03:46:41 PM

Is it something you have to go and pick up, or is it going to be Wi-Fi'd to us? This is really awesome, and I'm totally excited to get Metroid Fusion. :D

From what i've read, the 20 games aren't all being released at once, so i suspect nintendo will put them on the e shop whenever they release them and you can just download them from there onto your little channel home screen thing like everything else.
anyone who purchases a 3DS and accesses the e shop before sometime in mid august is a ambassador, but nintendo has yet to notify anyone (or at least not me) about their ambassador status. its speculated that we will get an email or a notification on the 3DS sometime in august that will have more information.

kamakaziplumber

Quote from: Twilight Wolf on August 01, 2011, 12:38:25 AM
I'm most definitely picking up a 3DS now. WHEN, however, I don't know. I'm tempted to buy one now to get the free games... but I'm not sure if I have the funds. I almost certainly have enough for the reduced-price 3DS, however. Wat do? D:

Wait until the price drop. Look at it this way: there's nothing stopping you from paying for the games one-by-one, later, when they're all officially released. Sure, you might save a little money by getting one now and then getting approx. $100 worth of free games, but you have to want every game on the list for it to really matter. Even if you want all of them minus four, you'd just be paying the same amount either way.

I might be a little spoiled because I've had a flash cart for my DS for a while now, so I've always been able to play a lot of NES games and the like on it. But I feel like it's always a better deal to pay for things individually, as you want them, than for a large bundle that may include things you don't even want (see also Steam sales).
The Fourth! A webcomic about the hopeless case of the game villain.

"Tis music that soothes the savage beast, but the dagger that causes long slumbers."
- Me!

MagmarFire

The problem with that, though, is that not all of the games listed are "planned" on being released to the general public.

Advanceshipping and Rion had better be Chuck Norris approved.

kamakaziplumber

From the Nintendo site:

QuoteStarting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost.

By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi's Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

So, it depends on what you want. The NES games will be available later, but the GBA games may or may not be. If you only want the NES games, then just wait. If you really want the GBA games, get the 3DS now... unless you're willing to risk never getting them.

Personally, I own all but two of the GBA games listed... and I could probably just get them at Gamestop or on eBay for a reasonable price on the GBA itself. Anyone else with a DS or GBA should be able to do the same.

I'm still comfortable getting the cheaper 3DS, myself. The GBA games will probably be released, albeit much later... Nintendo probably just wants the Ambassadors to get something truly valuable, so they'd let them have these games before everyone else. Still... someone ported them, so why wouldn't they sell them eventually? They're probably going to be pushing downloadable GBA games a lot, later.
The Fourth! A webcomic about the hopeless case of the game villain.

"Tis music that soothes the savage beast, but the dagger that causes long slumbers."
- Me!

Hi no Seijin

This has nothing to do with those free games, but as this thread is about the 3DS, I feel compelled to mention that Nintendo is releasing a new color, red, on September 9.
Best.  Cane.  EVER!
Secretary of Lolcats; I won the MagmarFire Award for 2/21/08!
Filler.Filler.Filler.Fillah!  Filler.Filler.Filler.Fillah!

DW

If I ever get a 3DS, I'm getting that one.
­

xarlote

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting