News:

Welcome to the Desert!  Register, post, and have fun.  Why not introduce yourself in the
Welcome Thread?

Main Menu

GOOGLE PLUS

Started by Keaton, September 11, 2011, 12:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keaton

Fellow denizens of the Desert Colossus, if you would kindly either privately message me with your email addresses (although I am your god and can already access them, I feel it only fair to only extend the offer to those who wish it) or post them in this thread as you see fit, I will provide you with an invitation code the the elusive, illustrious Google+, henceforth known as the Bane of Facebook.

As proof that this is not a scam or a hacked account, I present you two words, and two words only.

LOL JDog

MagmarFire

I already have an account myself. ;)

Advanceshipping and Rion had better be Chuck Norris approved.

Keaton

Hi no Seijin

So, Google Plus is Google's social networking site?  How does it differ from Facebook?
Best.  Cane.  EVER!
Secretary of Lolcats; I won the MagmarFire Award for 2/21/08!
Filler.Filler.Filler.Fillah!  Filler.Filler.Filler.Fillah!

MagmarFire

Quote from: Hi no Seijin on September 12, 2011, 06:15:23 AM
So, Google Plus is Google's social networking site?  How does it differ from Facebook?

You can actually edit posts, for one. I'm also pretty sure it doesn't abuse AJAX like Facebook does, but I'd have to see a lot more posts on my board before I make any judgments on that. Plus, it's freaking GOOGLE.

It's still in beta, though, so there's no rush to jump on board.

Pale Dim

I'll go in once Facebook goes. But, just for that moment, here's my address.

Also, what is AJAX?

3308-7723-6389

Keaton

Basically, it's a way of sending requests from the client to the server in terms of status updates, layouts, photos, icons, etc.  Facebook abuses AJAX by making it send hundreds of tiny packets as opposed to one big one all at once-- which is a problem because it takes more time to contact the server, send the packet request, and receive authentication than it does to actually load the packet.  If Facebook were to send one big packet all at once, it might take 10 seconds to load instead of 5, but you won't have crippling lag every time something changes or Facebook decides you need more **** on your page.

MagmarFire

My problem with it is how it updates your feed WHEN YOU'RE SCROLLING DOWN. If you're using the scrollbar, like you are if you're using a touch pad, it becomes a royal pain if you happen to have your scrollbar held down when you're reading a post, only to have the wall update and change your screen's position AND move the scrollbar under the mouse so it's harder to use if you want to scroll up or down all the way.

Hi no Seijin

I'll give it a try.

hillmound@gmail.com

Let me know when it's ready.
Best.  Cane.  EVER!

The Glamour Nazi

ryinthecar@yahoo.com

Just so I don't have my parents there.

Deku

Hi no Seijin

So, hey, anybody there besides Mags and Tach?  I have a circle set aside for my fellow Desert Colossites.
Best.  Cane.  EVER!

MagmarFire

If any of you don't have G+ accounts, GET ONE! Let us have G+ rise as one of the greatest social media sites ever conceived!