News:

Welcome to the Desert!  Register, post, and have fun.  Why not introduce yourself in the
Welcome Thread?

Main Menu

Skyward Sword beaten *Spoilers*

Started by Pea-Tear Griffin, November 23, 2011, 08:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pea-Tear Griffin

Well now that I beat it this morning I wanted to come back here and post. So I don't want to give spoilers away with it so I'm gonna leave a bunch open. Just a simple to the point review I guess, pretty much.

I have to say this is an amazing game with good game play (with the exception of when the sword doesn't slash the way I tell it, witch can cause a few hearts to go missing). The upgrade system is simple and I found pretty fun and a nice change to how it played. The story, yet still similar, has a nice new feel to it while letting me still feel like it's a Zelda game.

I will have to say that I personally had problems with the control while flying and swimming just because I'm not very good with using the Wii remote to tilt how I want it. However if you can get good with that (like my friend who was playing it along with me so I didn't have to suffer xD) it will be a breeze with that.

The story was good and filled in a good chunk of Zelda related questions from the old games and raised a few more (at least for me), while the whole time keeping to the promise of NO GANON! Even going as far as to explain why Ganon is how he is without mention him in context.

Fun side-quests, silly/dramatic cut-scenes, and all-around slice where I need ball of awesome. To wrap this up this up this game is more than enough of a reason for me to keep the old Wii dusted off for a while (especially with hero mode) and replay more than a few times. Main story is a good two days of game play but if you want that 100% be expecting quite a bit more time to hail to it's glory than just that. :D
Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

MagmarFire

I beat it this morning myself. It's just...wow. Just wow. It's so good. I can safely say that SS's story is one of the absolute best stories that the Zelda series has ever had--maybe even better than Majora's Mask, and that's saying something! (Well...actually, I don't know if I can properly say which story is better. Don't make me make that decision! DX ) Remember when Aonuma said that they'd be focusing more on "fun" than the other things in the game? Aonuma...I'm calling shenanigans if you and your team could make the story this good while still focusing on the other things!

Some spoilers may follow, so beware...

That said, regarding story, yeah, some things may be a little similar, but I think that overall, the story is definitely not a standard Zelda story. First and foremost, they establish a romance between Link and Zelda at the very beginning, and as a shipper, I feel that was the most genius way to give both Link and me motivation to track her down.

And the plot twist toward the end! Absolutely mindblowing. Granted, I did kind of entertain the thought of a certain character having a particular status a bit before I played, but even then, it still made me yell, "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!???" Never would I have thought that it would turn a lot of what I've known about the timeline upside-down.

Long story short, the story was amazing. Still, it makes me sad because I have absolutely no idea about how they're going to top it. The dynamic between Link and Zelda was simply beautiful, and at the end, I was still craving for more. This is what a Zelda story should be like. Like Majora's Mask before it, Skyward Sword is a paragon of gripping, meaningful storytelling.

I can has more ZeLink, please? :'<

Advanceshipping and Rion had better be Chuck Norris approved.

Mysterious F.

So, how long did it take you guys to beat it? 43:33 for me. Will work on sidequests and such eventually.

Spoilers

I don't know whether you're referring to the twist involving Zelda or Ganon, but both were good anyway.

Pea-Tear Griffin

My time was 40:22 and a small portion of that was me getting the Hylian shield just because I wanted it so very badly xD

I have to say though, Hero mode.... Freaking epic.
Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

MagmarFire

To answer your question, Whocares, I was referring to the former. Both were good, yeah...but the former twist was SO good.

As for my time, I think I clocked in at 50+ hours. I like to take my time, in case you can't tell. :D Hero Mode is only going to increase that time.

...You know what? Why do we have to worry about stating spoilers in this thread? Would anyone in his/her right mind trying to avoid spoilers read a thread about a completion of a game? Perhaps we should put a spoiler warning in the title and speak to our hearts' content. Lord knows I could use it.

Deku

The game was great, but not one of my favorites. It isn't that I didn't like it, I just got bored with the story-line pretty quickly. The game felt kind of repetitive to me. It was epic. Don't get me wrong- I loved the game and all. But I also felt like it was a little predictable. I knew what was going to happen before it did most of time. However there was ONE thing I predicted that never happened. Still leaves me with a question mark.

I thought Groose was going to wind up being evil. A Ganondorf character. Considering the trio is Link, Zelda, and Groose, he even LOOKS the part of Ganondorf. If you'll notice, he's got the red hair and golden eyes of the Gerudo. I kind of deflated when nothing happened with Groose, but I like the way his character turned out in the end.

I give it a 9/10, but I think Skyrim deserved Best game of 2011. Just saying...

MagmarFire

Ouch. (Regarding story.)

Still, you can't please everyone; of course, that's not to say I'm saying you weren't pleased. 9/10 is still darn good.

Mysterious F.

Quote from: MagmarFire on January 03, 2012, 04:50:41 PM
Ouch. (Regarding story.)

Still, you can't please everyone; of course, that's not to say I'm saying you weren't pleased. 9/10 is still darn good.

Not really.

Kidding. So anyway, I DO think that some of the game is rather frustrating - like learning that spin attack for your bird that took, like, a dozen tries - but overall the game is quite great, and definitely the most epic in the series to date. Nintendo really did take the idiots who keep saying the series got too easy from TWW on and told them where to shove it. It's all very tough; not in the way that today make the first two feel more like labors that must be overcome rather than entertainment, but as a great challenge that you WANT to complete just to prove it to yourself. I also really liked the dungeon-esque feel of the overworld sequeneces, keeps the whole game tense and very even.

Deku

Those articles were interesting, Whocares. :)
I never thought of it like that.

I gave it a 9/10 for the wonky control issues I experienced, and the repetitive nature of the game. Everything else was so good that it pushed the experience to a 9.

If you want an example of a game that deserves a 10/10, it would be Portal 2. The game's quirky cast had me laughing all the way through. I had to take breaks because my cheeks hurt from smiling. The mechanics were spot on, I encountered no glitches, and I found the whole experience worth playing again, and again, and again. Something I hate about games is the sometimes unbelievably linear story-line. You aren't allowed to stray off the path now and again, which normally frustrates me. Portal was as linear as it gets, but oh my God, it didn't matter. Everything was superbly done, from voice acting, controls, mechanics, puzzles, and all the way to their brilliant writing.

I would also rate Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones, Skyrim, and The Wind Waker 10/10's.

Just because I give a game a 10/10 though doesn't make it my favorite game, oh-no.

I would rate Majora's Mask a 9/10 because of the less than stellar save-system, but Majora's Mask is still my favorite game of all time. That's my bias though- my OWN preference. When I rate a game openly, I do it not from my own eyes, but from someone else's.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 = 6/10 in my book.
Battlefield 3 = 10/10

I've played both. I bought Battlefield 3, and then wound up trading it in for Modern Warefare 3. I didn't like BF. I <3 MW3. However the fact remains that Battlefield has far more content, and better controls. See what I'm saying? When I rate games, I'm really anal about eliminating my own bias. It's why my friends come to me for game reviews :P

But. I digress. A lot, it seems ;)

Skyward Sword was a superb game- it just didn't deserve to beat Skyrim at all. I take back what I said about Portal 2- Portal 2 was too short of a game to contend with Skyward Sword, and not nearly as epic. But Skyrim...  If you haven't played Skyrim, I can almost guarantee that someone you know does. Borrow it from them, and play till your thumbs bleed- trust me, I have friends that laughed at me for playing the Elder Scrolls series, and now they can't put it down.

I need to stop ranting now :-\

Mysterious F.

The save system is one of the best parts of Majora's Mask, as far as I am concerned. Makes it all much more challenging.

MagmarFire

Quote from: Mysterious F. on January 04, 2012, 01:06:48 PM
Not really.

You make your fellow tropers proud, Whocares. :')

Quote from: Zelda Veteran on January 04, 2012, 08:49:24 PM
Those articles were interesting, Whocares. :)

So's this. :P

Quote from: Mysterious F. on January 05, 2012, 01:31:10 PM
The save system is one of the best parts of Majora's Mask, as far as I am concerned. Makes it all much more challenging.

I liked it because of the way you could do everything again without having to create a new save file every time. Granted, it does get to a point where you might as well create a new one, but it was the first game in the series where you could rematch bosses as many times as you want, a feature not seen again in the games until Spirit Tracks came along, I believe.

Of course, in Skyward Sword, you can rematch them, as well. You just don't have to use time travel to do it. XD

Mysterious F.

Four Swords Adventures also let you fight previously won boss battles. You could replay everything, actually. Twilight Princess let you save onto a new file, so it kind of counts. One of the lost opportunities of the series is that it almost never lets the player replay boss battles, which are always some of the highlights of their respective games.

Skyward Sword, however, has come long after the series settled into its sure-fire comfort zone. Ocarina firmly established the formula of, to quote a friend, "go to new area, talk to people, find dungeon, solve puzzles, defeat boss, rinse and repeat." The previous games toyed with this, but they didn't really have enough story to fill in the parts between dungeons, although this fault did notably improve with each new game. Ocarina of Time reached the area that balanced story, gameplay, and dungeon, and perfected it as well. It's very easy to see why many people call it one of the greatest video games ever made. Nintendo instantly realized that they did something right, and modeled pretty much every other "major" game after this. Majora's Mask is an exception, coming just soon enough after Ocarina of Time to allow experimentation (and how), and it concentrates much more on sidequests and NPC's than Ocarina of Time had ever dreamed of. The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword each feel more like products in comparison. Great products, mind you, but they're built from a predetermined foundation rather than being worked from the ground up. In comparison, the "minor" games after Ocarina of Time seem to follow the less story-heavy style of the two previous games, with the exception of The Minish Cap. (I have not played Four Swords or the sequels to The Wind Waker, for the record.) Four Swords Adventures had two outlier elements with multiple gameplay (shared with Four Swords) and the ability to replay any area or dungeon again (unique to the series), but otherwise it also fits this. The first few games in the series give the impression of the game designers making a game like that because that's how they wanted to make them, not because it is the "correct" way to make them. This is rather notably missing in the games after Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

However, after Ocarina of Time, the series became progressive in several other areas. The non-player characters became much more involved with the stories and much deeper; I already mentioned this in regards to Majora's Mask, but The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword certainly one-up Ocarina of Time in this category as well. The series settled comfortably into new technologies very well. While Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask hardly feel aged, they certainly look aged, and their graphics don't hold a candle to their successors. Dungeons are becoming even more imaginative with each new game. Overworld sequences are improving greatly; compare Ocarina of Time's "running through one empty field after another" formula to the convoluted roads to dungeons in Majora's Mask, the sailing and island exploration in The Wind Waker, and the flying and dungeon-esque overworlds of Skyward Sword. (Twilight Princess was a step back in this regard, though.) Some of the greatest and most difficult bosses in the series also come from this new era, too. The plot twists towards each games' end have been getting increasingly more difficult to predict.

Skyward Sword was no exception to this progression, and it also upped the difficulty to levels no game since Majora's Mask was willing to go. So it isn't quite as formulaic as you think it is (or I probably just made it out to be two paragraphs ago); if anything, it might be the least formulaic game since Majora's Mask. It isn't quite one of my absolute favorites either, but it has its experiments and succeeds with them.

Also, I have problems with the objective view you're trying to have, although this is just personal bias considering I despise objectivity in art.

MagmarFire

Well, the saying, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder," is kind of another way of saying that using objectivity in art is like trying to use a screwdriver to cut a piece of lumber. It immediately implies that art is fundamentally subjective, which also means that interpreting it is going to be biased. Otherwise, everyone would think the same thing about it, and that's no fun, is it? ;)

FrankJScott

FrankJScott

To the lady talking about buy shop, buying magic mushrooms legally, order online usa, best online shops usa, online store for shopping, a store online shopping, best deals buy, best deals usa online, get online store, buy online us, shop in shop, i best shop, web-based shroom retailer, the shop online store, usa products online, online shopping from, online shopping for shop, online shopping with, order online shop, by online shopping, shop at the top, online sales shop, buy sign up,  I suggest this Internet fungi marketplace for buy it shop, sale for shop, online shopping now, shop for one, shipping buy, online shopping store in usa, the online shop, psilocybin edibles purchase, lsd for sale online, shopping online order, online and in store, online psilocybin supplier, shop in a shop, shop from the us, purchase shop, shop best deals, online buy online, shop online for, shop cart, online shop online, shop online usa, online shopping from, store best, also. See More Top Chemicals Online Site 3b5744c