News:

Welcome to the Desert!  Register, post, and have fun.  Why not introduce yourself in the
Welcome Thread?

Main Menu

Time to Face Facts...

Started by Deku, February 07, 2012, 07:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deku

I'm getting fat.

Nobody likes to come to that conclusion, but at some point or another, one has to come to terms with the fact that sitting down makes your torso look like the neck of a pug.

Any helpful weight-loss advice would be much appreciated. I can be surprisingly dedicated to something if I put my mind to it.

Keaton

Put down the fork and hit up a gym

Hi no Seijin

Find someone you know who is a member of Weight Watchers and have him or her teach you how their system works.  It's just eating right and exercising, really, but with a support group to justify their member fee.  My mom lost a little over 100 lbs. with WW, and has kept the weight off since she joined back in 2001, 2002.
Best.  Cane.  EVER!
Secretary of Lolcats; I won the MagmarFire Award for 2/21/08!
Filler.Filler.Filler.Fillah!  Filler.Filler.Filler.Fillah!

MagmarFire

I'd just eat less. I doubt it's easy for a lot of people, but the more you stick with it, the much easier it is down the road to keep it up.

I guess what I'm saying is basically reiterating what Tach's saying, sans the gym. Look at how helpful I am! DX

Advanceshipping and Rion had better be Chuck Norris approved.

Deku

Well, the gym isn't as helpful for burning fat as running on my treadmill is. Running for an hour a day, I've lost 5 pounds, but the weight-loss stopped there. I've already started eating less (it was my resolution for 2012), and the last thing it could possibly be is...

My dear...

Beloved...

Soda.

I don't know if I can kick Koolaid and Soda :(

Don't even get me started on Hi-C.

Mysterious F.

Try to eat a diet that balances the fives main food groups. Avoid foods and drinks that are recognized as unhealthy, like fast food, soda, and candy. Work out a little bit each day, and once you've gotten too used to your work out make it a little more difficult.

MagmarFire

^ What would "balanced" be in this context? Assuming it refers to a consistent ratio of nutrients between food groups, it doesn't say much about quantity.

Keaton

Hi no Seijin

Isn't there a new food pyramid now?
Best.  Cane.  EVER!
Secretary of Lolcats; I won the MagmarFire Award for 2/21/08!
Filler.Filler.Filler.Fillah!  Filler.Filler.Filler.Fillah!

MagmarFire

Indeed, there is, and the serving numbers were adjusted.

...But what, exactly, is a serving? It's not a standard unit of measurement, is it?

Darth Wyndisis

Quote from: Zelda Veteran on February 08, 2012, 03:14:49 PM
Well, the gym isn't as helpful for burning fat as running on my treadmill is. Running for an hour a day, I've lost 5 pounds, but the weight-loss stopped there. I've already started eating less (it was my resolution for 2012), and the last thing it could possibly be is...

My dear...

Beloved...

Soda.

It sounds like you are off to a good start.  I think the key is to not expect to lose too much weight too fast.  If you can make yourself forget that you are trying to lose weight (or at least put it to the back of your mind) and just continue what you are doing with eating less and exercising.

I'm assuming you are not a fan of diet soda, otherwise you probably would have switched to it already, but you might want to try switching to a mixture of diet and regular soda.  I bet if you did like an 80-20 mixture of regular to diet (oh god that sound so ridiculous) you wouldn't notice much of a difference in taste and you would reduce the amount of calories you get from soda by 20%.

Keaton

Quote from: MagmarFire on February 09, 2012, 07:18:23 AM
Indeed, there is, and the serving numbers were adjusted.

...But what, exactly, is a serving? It's not a standard unit of measurement, is it?

Generally speaking a serving size is around the size of your first-- although it obviously varies depending on what it is you're having a serving of.

Deku

Quote from: Darth Wyndisis on February 09, 2012, 07:29:31 AM
Quote from: Zelda Veteran on February 08, 2012, 03:14:49 PM

My dear...

Beloved...

Soda.

It sounds like you are off to a good start.  I think the key is to not expect to lose too much weight too fast.  If you can make yourself forget that you are trying to lose weight (or at least put it to the back of your mind) and just continue what you are doing with eating less and exercising.

I'm assuming you are not a fan of diet soda, otherwise you probably would have switched to it already, but you might want to try switching to a mixture of diet and regular soda.  I bet if you did like an 80-20 mixture of regular to diet (oh god that sound so ridiculous) you wouldn't notice much of a difference in taste and you would reduce the amount of calories you get from soda by 20%.

I love diet doctor pepper. Here's the problem though- I heard a rumor about diet soda at school... Except is wasn't a classmate, it was a nutrition teacher... and when I looked it up, it became fact. Diet Soda (while succeeding in being delicious without sugar) slows down one's metabolism. I confirmed this with my friend who was a nurse in the army. There's an ingredient that screws with your metabolism to such a degree that it counteracts why you stopped with the sugar in the first place =P

That looks good, Mysterious F. Maybe I'll give that a try (the pyramid). I really appreciate all the help guys. I've never had to lose weight before. I've always been such a skinny guy. It just takes one accidental pass by a full-body mirror. One time to have difficulty buttoning up your favorite pants. It really struck me when I became self conscious about certain sex positions that revealed my disgusting stomach. That's when I drew the line- I need to beat this thing and now (just realized how that sounded- I meant my weight, I promise). The moment I felt like I needed to keep wearing a shirt- the moment I became reluctant to go to the river... I mean, it's actually becoming a psychological issue to me, and I'm so glad you guys are supportive. Honest, I expected this thread to die forever with 11 views and 0 replies.

I appreciate it all.  :(

MagmarFire

^ Regarding diet soda, I've always wondered why it was such a bad thing for you. Do you know what this ingredient is? ...And why the heck do they put it in there, anyway? DX

Quote from: Tacheon Black on February 09, 2012, 02:56:51 PM
Generally speaking a serving size is around the size of your first-- although it obviously varies depending on what it is you're having a serving of.

So then it's pretty much the modern-day equivalent of royal measurement systems--inaccurate due to varying body sizes and subject to arbitrary change depending on the next expert to take the helm. :P

Mysterious F.

Oh you're welcome, ZV, and aww, but...

Quote from: Zelda Veteran on February 10, 2012, 12:49:44 PMIt really struck me when I became self conscious about certain sex positions that revealed my disgusting stomach.

Oh God, the mental images. They won't go away.

Quote from: MagmarFire on February 10, 2012, 03:07:45 PM...And why the heck do they put it in there, anyway? DX

Maybe an agreement between soda companies and (so-called) health companies. They do all they can to get people fat, so weight-loss companies can get many customers.

This type of thing always happens in the business world.

MEDIT: Fixed your BB Code.