News:

Welcome to the Desert!  Register, post, and have fun.  Why not introduce yourself in the
Welcome Thread?

Main Menu

World War II

Started by Mysterious F., May 19, 2006, 06:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mysterious F.

This topic is outside the Chatboard so it doesn't get out of control with spam. Anyway, talk about World War II here. You can also talk about what caused the war, what happened before the war that is related to the war, and what the war caused/did to the world.

Evilbob

Montgomery and Rommel !
Good old desert warfare

Mysterious F.

Yes, desert warfare is nice. There is no place to hide, victory goes back and forth between sides, and there is no need to switch to winter clothes, unlike the Russian front.

Evilbob

ah yes, light clothing and a rifle

Mysterious F.

I feel sorry for those who freezed to death in the Russian Front. Yet some of them deserved it (aka Nazis).

Gamefreak

Ah, the leadership of Winston Churchill should not be forgot.  He took on Hitler head on, unlike Wilt Chamberlain who just appeased Hitler and let him have Europe.

Evilbob

Quote"We will never surrender..."

... we will kill all the n00bs and spambots that attack TDC!

Mysterious F.

What did I tell you about not spamming on this topic!?!? Yes, Winston Churchill was better than Chamberlain. Chamberlain, the Munich Pact, and that stupid umbrella of Chamberlain's are symbols of appeasment. Let World War II remind people what that can do.

Gamefreak

Yes.  He rose to the challenge and helped stop one of history's greatest dictators.

Mysterious F.

Don't you mean worst? That sounded like you like him! Now to the invasions before the war. Lets talk about that.

Gamefreak

You're taking my words out of context.  I meant "great" as in powerful.  Not "great" as in "the Wii is great"

Mysterious F.

Oh. Sorry I misunderstood!

Evilslayer

Although I mostly prefer ancient history I'm very interested in WWII, and also a little bit in WWI. War is a horrible thing, yes, but if there's one war in the 20th century that can be justified it's WWII. WWI was a meaningless war, a waste of men. In WWII, however, the people had a reason to fight. They didn't fight for greedy leaders, like in WWI, but for their freedom.

By the way, have anyone here read a series of books called Darkness by Harry Turtledove? The reason I bring that up is that they are allegories based on WWII, but in a world where magic rules. The people in those books doesn't have air planes or tanks, but dragons and behemoths.

The story is that after the Six Years War (WWI) Algarve (Germany) lost several of their territories to the victors. One of them is a duchy called Bari (one of two Zelda cameos :P). The duch of Bari, however, dies about a generation later, with no heir to replace him. Therefore, King Mezentio (Hitler, who else? ;)), the ruling monarch of Algarve, reclaims Bari.

Seeing that, the other kingdoms are not so happy and declare war on Algarve. It goes well... for a while. The first that falls is Forthweg (Polen). Sibiu (Austria) falls in a day. Valmiera (France) and Jelgava (also France, I suppose) falls in close succession.

I'm not going to spoil too much of the story to those who might want to read it, but it eventually ends up with Lagoas (Britain), Kuusamo (USA, though the people looks kinda Japanese^_^) and Unkerlant (Soviet Union) against Algarve, Yanina (Italy), Gyongyos (Japan) and Zuwayza (?).

The books have their own little twists, but several of the happenings and battles can be recognised. Like the battle of Sulingen, which is clearly based on the battle of Stalingrad. Another is the battles of the Land of the Ice People, which is based on the desert wars. Then there's the nukes. Who knew magic could be that powerful?^_^

I mentioned earlier that there are two Zelda cameos (although I believe it's just coincidental). The other is that one of the view point characters has a sister called Saria. ;D

Gamefreak

It's ok.  It's a very easy thing to have a misconcept on.

Mysterious F.

Personnally, WWI was important, for almost all causes of WWII and the invasions before it were caused by WWI. The only real exception is the Ethiopian Campaign (1935-1936), when Italy invaded Ethiopia as revenge for the Italian loss to Ethiopia in the 1890s.  Oh, and also, the other Axis coutries (besides Germany, Italy, and Japan) were Manchukuo, Nanking, French Indochina, Thailand, Bulgaria, Albania, Vichy France, Croatia, Rumania, Hungary, Finland, Slovakia, and neutral Spain. It could be one of them, but probably Thailand.