News:

Welcome to the Desert!  Register, post, and have fun.  Why not introduce yourself in the
Welcome Thread?

Main Menu

OoT and SS connections

Started by alex, July 02, 2011, 03:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex

Okay, so I've been playing through Ocarina of Time on the 3DS and noticed a lot of things that we now know to be part of the Skyward Sword Zelda.
(which I hope was Nintendo's intention of releasing Ocarina of Time 3DS right before Skyward Sword)

just to name a few large ones:
the red bird symbol on the Hylian shield
the wings on the triforce above the entrance to the spirit temple
sheik plays a harp

its kind of obvious how these relate to skyward sword if you've seen the new trailer where link is riding on a GIGANTIC BIRD. and of course the speculated harp instrument, but anyways...
this bird thing also connects to twilight princess with the ooccas

so how does Nintendo do this exactly?? do they just go back and look at all the random details they've put into each game and come up with ideas?? or do they have every zelda game planned out from the beginning and they just release them all in different orders o.0 (which i highly doubt but i thought it was funny)

so if anybody has been replaying Ocarina of Time, N64, gamecube, 3DS, WHATEVER, id like to hear what all you have noticed.

Vaati

I slightly doubt they had thought of coming up with a story behind all those little symbols and stuff ahead of time. I think they just took some little things from previous games and decided how they should tie into SS. Saying "Ahh, you know that little bird on Link's shield? What's the story behind that? We should make one up!" At least that's how I do things when I'm writing a series of stories. Just work off old concepts and create bigger ideas.  :)

Pabrizzle

In the Comic Con trailer, did anyone notice the guy wearing all red with MASSIVE eyebrows. Is this Kaepora Gaebora??? Remember he's supposed to the reincarnation of the ancient sage, so maybe we actually meet the ancient sage? Plus his owlness would tie in with the whole skyloft theme.

Of course maybe this is just another case of "coming up with something" on the spot, not ahead of time, but this would suggest some pretty groundbreaking revelations referring to OoT. Anyone have an opinion on it?

MagmarFire

I must say the Kaepora Gaebora thing is...wow, pretty mindblowing. I've never thought of that before! :O

Advanceshipping and Rion had better be Chuck Norris approved.

Vaati

It's a possibility. After all, they did mention in OoT that Kaepora Gaebora is the reincarnation of an ancient sage. And SS takes place before OoT soo.... :)

Pabrizzle

And then of course we're going to have some explanation of what happened to the Sheikah. At least I certainly hope so. There were some hints about what happened to the Hidden Village, but no actual Sheikah showed up in Twilight Princess. But since SS is before OoT and it looks like there are Sheikah symbols in the trailer.... I want some closure on that!

Vaati

Being that it's a precursor to OoT, I'm sure they'll draw into things that they brought up in OoT but didn't go into more detail on. Perhaps we'll get to see Kakariko Village when it was populated by Sheikah. Maybe some of the things written on the Gossip Stones will be revealed. Who knows?

alex

Quote from: Pabrizzle on July 27, 2011, 05:02:49 PM
And then of course we're going to have some explanation of what happened to the Sheikah. At least I certainly hope so. There were some hints about what happened to the Hidden Village, but no actual Sheikah showed up in Twilight Princess. But since SS is before OoT and it looks like there are Sheikah symbols in the trailer.... I want some closure on that!
im not sure if I'm remembering this right.. but didn't the sheikah somehow "betray" the royal family and so like the whole race (or what was left) swore allegiance to protect them and whatnot...
was that in OoT? or did i just read that in some fan fiction x]
idk, it seems to me like i remember them hinting at that in some game in the series... or at least thats what i gathered from the dialogue 

MagmarFire

Sounds like that was from a fan fiction, since I'm pretty sure OoT didn't say anything about Sheikah-related betrayal.

But then again, that does sound quite familiar. I don't know why, but have I heard that somewhere before, myself?

alex

Quote from: MagmarFire on July 30, 2011, 09:17:13 PM
But then again, that does sound quite familiar. I don't know why, but have I heard that somewhere before, myself?
i know its driving me crazy!!
now i want to go search for it...
haha

Darth Wyndisis

I think it says something like that on one of the walls of the Shadow Temple, but I'm not sure.

alex

Quote from: Darth Wyndisis on August 01, 2011, 10:40:40 AM
I think it says something like that on one of the walls of the Shadow Temple, but I'm not sure.
as a matter of fact, it does! like i said it was driving me crazy so i went looking... haha
An inscription can be found on the walls of the shadow temple reading, "Here is gathered Hyrule's bloody history of greed and hatred...", is this a reference to a dark action committed by the Sheikah race? i mean why did they all disappear anyways...

another clue in Ocarina of Time is the gravestone in the cemetary of Kakariko Village. it basically says the Sheikah served as guardians to the Royal Family of Hyrule and protected Hylian Royalty

Pabrizzle

Do you have an image of that Shadow Temple reading? I've never heard of that before... I never really liked the Shadow Temple (exempting Bongo-Bongo of course. Duh.)

alex

went back to the shadow temple on my 3DS to snap a pic of the inscription, its near the beginning of the temple.

i found a little bit more information, i don't know if it can be considered evidence or not, but it definitely confirms that the sheikah swore their allegiance to the Royal Family. this is a quote from the wizard looking dude in castle town:
"Have you heard the legend of the "Shadow Folk"? They are the Sheikah...the shadows of the Hylians. They say they swore allegiance to the King of Hyrule and guarded the Royal Family. But with the long peace, no one has seen a Sheikah around here for a long time."
(i apologize for the flipped screen shot.. I'm not a pro)

HOWEVER,
the idea about the whole betrayal thing came from the OoT manga (i knew i had read it somewhere...) in the manga, Sheik explains the story of the Sheikah emblem, stating that there was one instance of betrayal from the Royal Family toward the Sheikah, and they were banished out of Hyrule, so the tear was added on the Shadow Folk emblem to commemorate this event.

IN ADDITION,
these are some interesting theories that i have heard about the Sheikah that did not stem from the manga, but from the game itself:
the bottom of the well in kakariko village is a place of torture, either the sheikah did the torturing or they were the ones being tortured..
i mean the place has jail cells and skulls and blood stains all over...
the shadow temple is a place of sheikah religious worship, where perhaps the souls of those tortured were ferried (via that huge ship in the shadow temple) to the other side? or maybe they worshiped someone other than the three goddesses? it is next to a graveyard, which makes it kind of spiritual in a way i suppose..

MagmarFire

Ah, so it was from the manga. Well, that's considered non-canon, so the chances of that being true are lower--but obviously not impossible still. You do make a good point with the Shadow Temple being a hellish place for worship, but I wouldn't say that screams outright betrayal, especially when one of the ghosts said that "Hyrule's bloody history of greed and hatred" was "gathered" there, which would imply, to me, to be the entirety of Hyrule.